Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Best of Friends (this generation and the next)

Being half an only child means that I only am I completely unique but that I also have one biological sibling in the world* who is 12 years my senior . Therefore, as I have grown up there are a few members of the global society who I refer to as "family".

Now, the family I speak of is not the large group of people that I was genetically born into, but the truly exceptional people that I call my best friends. This blog is dedicated to them.

In the last 5 years, I have known several people who have had the next generation massing at their hips and in my opinion, thoroughly unprepared and were being ill advised. However, all these young men and women were not who I would call my true friends. It's true, I'm from a part of East London where teenage pregnancy is rife and I went to sixth form in an area that had the highest rate of teenage pregnancy in the country.

However, it's argued that who you are is born into you but the person who you become, you inherit from those around you. In that case, I inherited an embezzlement of riches.

Now for the Naming and Shaming!

Primary School - Aadam and Charlie (who was then and always will be known as Charles) are the two who stick out from the waterfall of kids who flowed from South Grove to Kelmscott.

Secondary School - Chesney, Dayna and Jade - I think its safe to say that the four of us were more or less inseparable.

These 5 became the pentagon that I based my knowledge of the world on and although I haven't seen them as often as I should have, I am grateful for having had the experience of a childhood with them.

Theatre train - Aneka, Tanya, Keilah, Jo, Danielle, Quiana, Latoya, Keisha, Jamie and Daine. These guys were and still are referred to as my family. We have all gone in separate ways but still keep in relative contact. Drama School was once a week but at the time it seemed like the most important thing ever. Waking up at silly o'clock in the morning to travel to the West End to rehearse with a musical director who when angry resembled a tomato and really feel like an ethnic minority on a stage with 200 other teenagers, now, does not seem like the best way to spend a Saturday, but at the time, it was something to look forward to. Three of our number have now gone on to procreate. And I for one, could not be more pleased. These three strong independent and rational minded women know what life is and have some idea of what to expect. They haven't decided to just fulfil a stereotype and statistic. They've gotten (or are nearing the end of) their education and I am immensely proud of them.

Sixth Form - Addi and B. B I have to say is one of the most level headed people that I have ever met and has a resolve tougher than Jeremy Paxman. Apart from the obsession with Travis, I admire her with every core of my being. I probably don't say it enough, but as soon as I am back in the UK I will be buying her a ticket to my humble abode and force her not to refuse. We have serious catching up to do. (be ready to accept!)

Addi and I have a somewhat complicated relationship which has gone up and down like a roller coaster but at this point in time, is on an up. Although I don't think that he realises it I've learned a lot from him and should know that he is the only person that I have officially introduced to my family (genetic and chosen).

Finally - University - In alphabetical order - Chris, David, Mark and Stacey. I've know you for now 18 months and it gets better every day. People say that "the best years of your life are when you are at school" they are wrong. The best days of your life are when you are a student. Man, am I glad that I have you guys.

I mean no disrespect to those that I knew way back when who were having kids, but I have to say all of my best friends have made smart decisions and I am proud to have them as peers and role models. Apparently "Life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get". If you surround yourself the chocolate flavours that you love, then the outcome no matter what will be good. So Ferrero Rocher all round I say.

*those of you who know me very well will realise that illogical statement does actually make sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment